September 01, 2019
New York State Essential Plan: Resources and Information
New York State residents who meet certain eligibility standards may enroll in an Essential Plan, a program for low-income New Yorkers enrolling in coverage through NY State of Health, the state’s official health plan marketplace.
Eligibility requirements — individuals must be:
- New York State residents
- Able to meet the Essential Plan income requirements
- Lawfully present in the U.S.
- 19-64 years old
- Not eligible for Medicaid or Child Health Plus
- Not eligible for employer and other coverage
- Free preventive care
- Inpatient care
- Outpatient services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Emergency services
- Lab and imaging
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services
- Mental health and substance use disorder services
- Wellness and chronic disease management services
Is there a specific enrollment period?
Enrollment for the Essential Plan is open all year long.
How much does an Essential Plan cost?
Eligible consumers will pay either a $20 monthly premium or $0, depending on their income. Some plans include additional benefits such as adult dental and vision coverage for additional premium.
For more information about the Essential Plan: